What is UBorrow?
UBorrow enables current students, faculty and staff to search for and request books directly from 16 research institutions. When you quickly need items that are unavailable at the University of Minnesota Libraries or are not owned by the library, search UBorrow. At present, this service only applies to books, scores and selected media. Try UBorrow and if you can't find what you're looking for, submit a regular request through ILLiad or WorldCat.
Why Use UBorrow?
You get the requested book within 1 week and keep it for 12 weeks with one 4 week renewal
- Media items loaned through UBorrow may have a shorter loan period
- Books will not be recalled except under unusual circumstances
How to use UBorrow?
- Connect to UBorrow
- Enter your search terms (title, author, keywords)
- Click the item title to view the record
- If it is available from the U of M, there will be a link to MNCAT to place a Get It request.
- If the item isn't available from the U of M, click on the blue "Request" link, which will redirect you to the U of M Interlibrary Loan ILLiad site where you can sign in.
- Once signed in, the request form will be populated. Make sure the title and author is correct; add the volume(s) you need and press submit. That's it!
Materials not available through UBorrow may be requested via regular interlibrary loan. Just follow the blue "Request" link. If your search did not produce results and there is no "Request" link, that doesn't mean it's not available, sign in to ILLiad and submit a book request. These items will carry the loan period granted by the lending library, not the more generous UBorrow loan period and may take longer to arrive.
UBorrow is a service offered by the member institutions of the Committee on Institutional Cooperation (CIC), which is comprised of the universities of the Big Ten Conference plus the University of Chicago. Materials from the Center for Research Libraries (CRL) may also be requested.